Johan H on Thu, 05 Feb 2004 16:43:55 +0200 (SAST)

[GLUG-tech] Re: Debian standard file locations ? When compiling new aplications ..

On Thursday 05 February 2004 14:42, Gregory Machin wrote:
> when compling a new aplication gcc ./configure allows you to use the
> following to configure the location of relavent files, what paths should i
> specify for debian so that i may keep with the standards ..

I am all for keeping to standards, makes for nice clean systems, but... dpkg
manages the installation of packages on a debian system.  If you compile your
app .. (./configure && make && make install) and you use the standards, your
libs and binaries will end up in the same place as where dpkg would put them.
Very dangerous.  You now have a mixture of dpkg maintained and user
maintained files in the same directories and no real way of avoiding
conflict.

If I have to compile and install on my debian boxes I put them in /usr/local/.
You are guaranteed that dpkg will not mess with your files there.

The first prize is to build a .deb from your package and use dpkg to install
it.  Go look at  http://www.debian.org/devel/ The debian policy manual
describes how to build packages to standard.  There is a link to the
Filesystem Hierarchy Standard(http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html)
which debian uses.  It will answer all your questions.

Regards
Johan.
---
To unsubscribe: send the line "unsubscribe glug-tech" in the
subject of a mail to "glug-tech-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx".